Thursday, June 19, 2008

Strawberry's and 10K's

On Sunday, June 8th (our 6th anniversary), we went to my favorite festival of the whole year - the strawberry festival!
Every year, even though it is in early June, this festival is the hottest weekend of the year - it never fails. This year was no exception.
The exception this year was that I ran the 10K race (6.2 miles). So, at 8:30AM, it was already 80 degrees and very humid, and there were only 3 water stops and no Gatorade. The only way I got through it was that there were people along the way standing at the end of their driveways hosing us off.
But I got through it and actually ran the time I wanted. ( I am ultimately training for a 1/2 marathon in September). I ended up getting 85th place out of 405 finishers, with a time of 48:20. But, I didn't get a finishers ribbon because I got 5th out of 35 in my age category and only the top 3 get ribbons. After the race, my friend Rebecca and I showered at her parents house closeby and then we all went to the festival.


This is Becca, my best friend from high school and my running partner. We live less than a mile away from each other, 14 years after high school and we've been running together for 20 years! Here's to another 20!








I think this is the best picture I've ever gotten with both of my kids! They're actually both looking in the right direction at least.












Esther eating a bowl of strawberries (they had plenty of these at the finish line, but no gatorade!)









We met some friends, Jason and Melissa, at the festival. We walked around, sampled the famous strawberry donuts and looked at all the crafts for about 2 hours, then sat down to watch the pie eating contest.













Jason, Kenneth and Luke











Nate and Becca. They were all ready for the pie eating contest.










They both were about 2 seconds behind the winner for the pie eating contest! OH well, Maybe next year.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

20 YEARS??!!! That makes ME feel old! It's been 20 years since we moved to Dayton and you started school at DC? Time does go by!

Anyway, congrats on beating your goal time and for sticking with it all these years.

Cute photos...especially Nate & Becca! Eli will love these in his scrapbook!

mom

Anonymous said...

So, I need to get in shape...wanna train me? =)

Only problem is that I've never been a great runner--always wanted to be but never got into it. Any tips?

shoemama said...

Heather, I would love to train you! My advise is just to start slow and gradually increase. You have to start somewhere. We'll do a 5K together sometime!